Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mini Review: Three Bags Full

My final review for Fall Into Reading 2008 is Three Bags Full by Leonie Swann.

The premise sounds quite intriguing, and I had to pick it up. A flock of sheep decide to band together and solve the murder of their shepherd. And it will take all of them because they each have a unique gift like exception smell, perfect memory, or being extremely clever.

Unfortunately this was one of those books that I could get into when I was reading it but had a hard time picking it back up after I had set it down. Between the 20 sheep and the humans, the cast was too big to keep straight. And the plot started out fairly slowly thanks to time spent talking about the sheeps' daily routine.

Probably the thing that bothered me the most was the anti-religious tone. One character was little more than a Bible thumping pamphlette distributor. And, while I found the idea of the sheep thinking the local priest was God (he lives in God's house), I was uncomfortable with what that meant for the narration as he was one of their chief suspects at various times.

On the whole, I finished Fall into Reading like I started with, although I wasn't as disappointed with this book as I was Stamped Out.

No comments: