Friday, October 12, 2007

Al Gore? Seriously?

Okay, I'd begun to write off the Nobel Peace Prize for a while now. I could understanding giving it to President Carter, although the timing was suspect. The final straw for me was when they gave it to Yassir Arafat. That man never met a war he didn't like. To say he had anything to do with peace was laughable.

Yet, somehow, they managed to top themselves.

This year's winner of the Nobel Peace Prize is...Al Gore. No, I'm not making it up.

Granted, he had to share it with the UN's panel on climate change.

Now I will freely admit part of my problem with this is I don't believe in Global Warming. With as cold as the winter was last year, I find that rather hard to swallow. Plus, we have only been keeping track of temperatures for 120 years of so. So who really knows what normal temperatures are. Then there's my always favorite little factoid - 30 years ago, Global Cooling was a fact. The cause? Human CO2 emissions. Yep.

But leaving all that aside for the time being, what in the world does Global Warming have to do with peace? Someone please tell me that.

This was absolutely nothing but a shameless stunt by a bunch of lefties to promote their agenda. And give the US another dig since Al Gore lost the Presidency in 2000 and they would have preferred it if he had won. (Yes, he lost it and tried to steal it back, but that's another issue.)

At least one world leader recognizes the idiocracy of it all. Unfortunately, it's the Czech President. Unfortunately only because it wasn't the leaders of a bigger country with more pull in the world.

Prague (dpa) - Czech President Vaclav Klaus, a rare vocal global- warming sceptic among heads of state, is "somewhat surprised" that former US vice president Al Gore received the Nobel Peace Prize, the president's spokesman Petr Hajek said in a statement.

"The relationship between his activities and world peace is unclear and indistinct," the statement said. "It rather seems that Gore's doubting of basic cornerstones of the current civilization does not contribute to peace." Klaus said in a recent speech that environmentalists' efforts to halt global warming "fatally endanger our freedom and prosperity."


And I love this quote from further down the article.

In a newspaper interview earlier this year, Klaus said that only Al Gore, and not a sane person, would say that mankind is ruining the planet.


For more of his thoughts, check out this article from earlier in the year.

Now before you write me off or flame me, do know that I care about the environment. I think hybrids are wonderful and hope that we can figure out ways to consume even less. But let's do it logically and not as a crazy rush in a panic because of some theories that may or may not be the case.

Ironically, just last week, the University of Illinois reported on global ice caps. The ones in the Northern Hemisphere are at record lows right now. But guess what. The ones in the Southern Hemisphere are at record highs. Seems like that wouldn't be the case if the entire earth's temperature were really rising. Talk about an Inconvenient Truth for Al Gore!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yes, and if it's not too late, you should check out Rush Limbaugh's website today. He was also nominated for the Prize, and his humor over the whole thing is great.

You made great points, Mark. Well done, well put.

Mark Baker said...

I must admit I can't claim all the points myself. Some of them came from reading Michelle Malkin's blog.

Anonymous said...

omg i can read. that tottally opened my eyes on global mumbo jumbo warming. just bring home the turkey mark because you deserve a NOBEL prize in groundbreaking journalism