Saturday, November 19, 2005

Way Past Time for an Update

I'm sure you all agree.

Last weekend's game night was different. We went to a game night that Debbie's Sunday school class was hosting. We wound up all together playing games. Wasn't bad, but it just wasn't the same as normal.

For the most part, this week has been rather quiet. Getting some stuff done at work, but not nearly as much as I should be getting done. Next week is going to be rough as I try to get everything done I need to before I leave for Thanksgiving.

Sun is shining. It's in the 80's again today. Doesn't feel like I'll be listening to nothing but Christmas music next week.

I found my dad's Christmas present this week, and I'm rather excited about that.

The big news of the night was Thursday. When I yet again made a fool of myself in public.

Some of the staff had brought in cookie dough to bake cookies for the kids when youth group was over. They were baking them in the kitchen near the gym/worship center. Now we just put a new floor in the gym, and there are big signs everywhere saying "No food. Water only." So, naturally when I see kids eating their cookies out there, I try to stop them. Some of them even purposefully defying me.

One of the decans in the church had been out on visitation and came back in time to snag a cookie. As I'm trying to remind him not to eat the cookie in the gym, he completely ignors me, takes it, and walks off.

So there I am being underminded in front of the kids again. I loose it and slam my Bible into something which makes a rather loud noise. Not exactly the best response. The decan comes back and starts literally yelling at me for all he is worth, then tells me we need to move where we will have more privacy, stopping every so often to yell at me in front of those who had no idea that anything has happened.

Then he asks for an explanation, which, when I try to give him, he interrupts me every two words to yell at me some more. Finally, he's about to storm off because I'm not behaving in the way he wants, and I tell him he's behaving no better then I am. That has the desired effect and pulls him up short. We are finally able to talk through what happened and he sees where I'm coming from. However, he also brings up again my reaction to the prank pulled on me at the church campout a year and a half ago. What's most interesting about that is his son was one of those involved yet I've had lots of people tell me what happened was wrong and those involved were out of line.

Yes, things were settled before I left, but I spent most of the rest of the night stewing about it. At one point, Pastor Jon mentioned to me again about understanding when I feel it's time to move on.

Frankly, I've been thinking about it more recently. I had decided I was going to transition out of it this summer at some point. But now I'm wondering if I should move up the purely selfish time table. Maybe I'm hurting more then I'm helping. This was especially driven home by the fact that none of the activities coming up are things I'm at all interested in doing. Yet we need to be doing activities of all kinds with the kids.

So yeah, Im rather frustrated and confused right now. Prayer would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: