Thursday, March 16, 2017

First Week of Beach League

That’s right, I’m in two leagues at the same time right now.  Saturday was the start of Men’s Beach League.

And yes, it is starting earlier than usual.  I’m not sure why, but I’m not complaining, especially since this is when I usually make it to the beach for the year.  And the weather Saturday was wonderful.  We’ve gotten our first warm weather of the year in the last week.  (Actually, it’s been close to 90 here at home, which is definitely hot for this time of year).  It was just under 70 at the beach.  The wind was stronger than I would have liked, but it wasn’t too bad.  The sun was out when I arrived, but the fog rolled in after about an hour.  Still, it wasn’t too bad.

For the first hour and a half or so, we played pick up while the captains scouted and drafted the teams.  That means we got one actual league game.

And my team won!!!  I know, very, very shocking given my recent history.  The final score was 11-6, I think.  Something like that.  I played three points, and we scored all three points I was in, too.  I even successfully caught and passed on the disc in two of them.

Of course, I have realized just how slow I am, even on the sand.  I wish I were a faster runner.  I can run a ways thanks to my running, but I’m a slow and steady runner, and that’s not good for ultimate.  Still, it was a nice day and I was at the beach.  I’m not complaining.

No comments: