Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Wonderful Day Saturday

Saturday turned out to be a wonderful day.

It started with the Irvine Lake edition of the Gladiator Rock n Run.  This was a new location for the run, but a location I’m quite familiar with this I do the Irvine Lake Mud run every year or so.  And it was very weird starting and even parking in a different location plus seeing the place I’m used to stopping completely empty.

I met up with a couple of groups of people from the website Meetup.  I’d actually run the race at a different location with one of them last year.  All told, there were six of us who ran together.  Not bad since I thought I’d be running by myself.

And that really added a lot to my day.  It’s always fun to run these races with someone.  Since I wasn’t trying to meet up with anyone afterwards (until much later), I was able to relax and have a great time.  I was thankful for that since there were huge backups for two of the obstacles.  The first was a slide and the second was the balance beam.  Both were worth the wait, but I’d bet they added at least an hour to our time.  After all, it usually doesn’t take me two hours to finish a 5K mud run.

Not that I would trade any of my time on the course.  I was having fun.

Once we all got cleaned up, we went out to a late lunch.  We went to a pizza place where I’d eaten a couple of years before after a run there.  The service was slow, but the food was good.

Now’s the part where I had some time to kill.  I was meeting my friend Brian for the play version of Disney’s Tarzan that night.  I’d actually thought I’d have hours to kill, so I brought a couple of books plus some other stuff to work on.  By the time we were done with lunch, it was 4:30.

I did make a stop at Downtown Disney.  I was looking for pins and ornaments (which I bought), but I just happened to see a 12 pack of Disneyland posters for sale as well.  I love those posters but have never bought any because of how expensive each one is.  The price on this was cheap enough that I couldn’t pass it up.  They are currently hanging in my hallway.  I need to get some frames, but I am so happy with them.  Honestly, I’m hoping they release some more 12 packs like this.

Brian was able to meet me for the play sooner than planned, so we had a nice chance to catch up before it started.  The play itself was put on by a local theater company, which means we didn’t have to pay an arm and a leg for the Broadway quality show.  The acting, sets, costumes…everything was top notch.  I wish the theater were closer so I could go see more of their shows.

I left home at 8:30 that morning and got home around midnight.  I didn’t get much of the stuff done I thought I would in the afternoon, which was a bit disappointing, but I wouldn’t have traded anything that happened that day for time to read.

No comments: