Monday, March 30, 2015

Beach League Week One

We started off ultimate Frisbee beach league this weekend down in Santa Monica.  The weather was wonderful, too.  Temps around 70.  It was sunny when I first got there, but the fog rolled in for the second game only to have the clouds burn off before we left the area.

The draft for teams happen earlier that morning, so I found out who was on my team after I’d arrived.  I’m on a team with guys who play lots of beach ultimate together on a regular basis.  Since a lot of a league like this is how quickly you develop chemistry, it’s a huge help to have that built in already.

And that may be one of the reasons we won both of our games.  They were fairly far apart, too, with us finishing around 13-7 on both.

Did you catch that?  We won!  In case you are wondering why I’m so excited, my team this year has double the wins of my last two beach league teams – combined.  Yes, the first year, my team only won one game and last year we lost all of them.

While there are quite a few people who have played together before, they were just throwing the disc to each other.  I was more involved than I normally am, in fact, getting the disc several times and passing it on successfully most of them.  They were making the best/smartest throws no matter who they were throwing it, too, which is actually a huge help for a team as well.  And everyone seems very nice.

Really, it was a very pleasant day all the way around.  But it’s hard to go wrong when you are on the beach.

No comments: