Tuesday, October 18, 2011

So, the Trip

While my parents and brother, sister-in-law, and niece all met up in Colorado Springs late in the week, I wasn't able to join them until October 9th.  I had to work and had a choir day working on Chirstmas music on that Saturday.  Turns out it was a good thing I wasn't trying to fly that day because it actually snowed that Saturday.

And it turned out perfectly because Mom's birthday was on Sunday.

We spent the week camping in a state park just outside of Colorado Springs.  Bro and SiL stayed in their tent, while the rest of us slept in Mom and Dad's trailer.  We would do day trips to such places as Garden of the Gods and the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, then come back to the trailer and let my niece take her nap.  The rest of us would shower, play games, or shop while she was doing that.

Fortunately, the weather mostly cooperated.  It was cool at night, but in the upper 60's or low 70's during the day.  We didn't make it up Pikes Peak because of the snow that fell on the 8th and winds, but we were able to do everything else we wanted to do.

On Sunday, we got to visit with one of my mom's counsins and his family, most of whom I'd never met.  Then Thursday, some family friends came down from Denver for a few hours.

We had a fantastic time.  My niece is so cute!  A highlight for me was seeing her face light up in a big smile when she saw me at the airport.  I was a little worried that she'd be sticking to me more than anyone else, but she was equally willing to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa, which saved my life I'm sure.

And did I metion she's very cute?

A definite highlight for me was visiting Focus on the Family's visitor center.  We've long supported their ministry and listened to that and Adventures in Odyssey.  The downstairs area where they have Whit's End and various store fronts from Odyssey was a real hoot for me.  They even have a Narnia room, so I finally got to walk through the wardrobe.  And their ice cream shop serves a WodFamChocSod.  We all got one of them.  Not the best thing I've ever had, but you have to buy one while you're at Whit's End, right?  (For those who haven't heard the episode "Our Best Vacation Ever," it's a World Famous Chocolate Soda.)

Friday, bro and his family drove home, and we started back to Southern California.  Mom and Dad went out of their way to drive me home.  We went through Santa Fe and Albequerque on the way.  It was the first time I'd been in New Mexico, so it was fun from that aspect.

We got back early evening Sunday night.  Now, I'm desperately trying to play catch up on a week's worth of TV.  It's a bit discouraging because just as I get something watched, this week's episode airs.  We'll see how far I've gotten and what kind of recap I can do this week.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Welcome back. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. It's nice to be able to spend time with family.

Mark Baker said...

It was a truly wonderful time.