Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's On My Nightstand March 2011 Edition

How can we be on the fourth Tuesday of March already?  Yikes!  Anyway, that means it is time for What's on Your Nightstand.

This month, I want to talk about a book I actually finished last week.  The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson is the first in a series about two brothers who are renting the office space that is what used to be 221B Baker Street.  One of the conditions of their lease is that they answer the letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes.  But one of those letters catched Nigel's eye.  Seems someone is writing a letter asking for something back that she sent in 20 years before.  Only Nigel doesn't think the original author is writing the letter.

When he takes off for Los Angeles to follow up on these letters, his brother Reggie takes off after him.  But Reggie always seems to be two steps behind Nigel.  Then the body shows up, and the police think Nigel is the killer.  What has Sherlock Holmes gotten them into?

The book is fast paced.  In fact, it starts out a little too fast paced.  I had a hard time connecting to the characters since we were just thrust into the story.  But it wasn't too long before things were explained and I could figure out backstory.

I really liked the characters from the beginning, and continued to like them the entire way through the book.

A few times, I had the next plot point figured out before Reggie, but there were several twists that took me by surprise, as did the ending.

I've ordered the next in the series and am really looking forward to seeing what happens next to these characters.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I love the unique premise! Sounds like a great book for any mystery fan.

Nancy@5minutesforbooks.com

Mark Baker said...

It certainly captured my interest and held it for the entire book.

Cassandra said...

I agree with Nancy; it definitely has a unique premise! Happy April reading! :)