Friday, May 07, 2010

Book Beginnings for May 7th

Time for this week's Book Beginnings on Friday. I'll have three sentences for you from two books.

Up first is The 9th Judgment by James Patterson. Really, his books start with the prologue, so we'll start there.

Sarah Wells stood on the roof of the carport and snaked her gloved hand through the hole she'd cut in the glass.
This sentence certainly caught my attention, espeically since I didn't know much about what the plots could be for this book.

After several prologue chapters, we finally get to the official first chapter. The first line there is:

Peter Gordon followed the young mom out of Macy's and into the street outside the Stonestown Galleria.
Knowing these books usually talk about deranged serial killers, I knew the mom wasn't going to be happy for long. It certainly got my attention.

I finished this book yesterday, so now I'm reading The Sea of Monsters, the second Percy Jackson book by Rick Riordan. The first sentence there is:

My nightmare started like this.

So far, my favorite first lines have been the longer ones, but this one was great. Only 5 words long, but it caught my attention and made me want to keep reading.

2 comments:

Rebecca Chapman said...

I especially like the last opening sentence, but they are all very good ones. Hope you enjoy the books

Mark Baker said...

I enjoyed 9th Judgment more than the last couple in the series, and I am certainly enjoying the second book.

Thanks for hosting this. I find it really fun.