Friday, May 28, 2010

Book Beginnings - May 28th

You know, I was going to post this earlier today.  But here we are at 4 in the afternoon finally getting my Book Beginnings on Friday posted this week.

I've only got one book for you this week.  Slowed down my reading a little bit, I guess.

I'm reading The Crime Writer by Gregg Hurwitz.  It's got a prologue and a first chapter.

Here's the prologue:

I woke up with IVs taped to my arms, a feeding tube shoved through my nose, and my tongue pushed against my teeth, dead and thick as a sock.

And the first chapter starts this way:

My car occupied slot 221 in the impound lot.

Without the prologue, the sentence from the first chapter wouldn't be that interesting.  Frankly, it's not that interesting even then.

However, that first sentence from the prologue.  It's very descriptive and really caught my attention.  I was certainly caught from the very beginning.  And I'm really enjoying it.

2 comments:

Rebecca Chapman said...

I have to admit neither really grab me. The first sentence of the chapter doesn't really give anything away, and I have a queasy stomach so the first one doesn't appeal to me. Plus, Im having surgery in two days time, so its a a bit freaky!!

Mark Baker said...

I had several major surgeries about four years back. At the time, I don't think I would have enjoyed the medical aspect of this book, either.

Good luck with your surgery.