Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Hard Loss

My team lost our ultimate Frisbee game last night. It wasn't even close. The final score was 4-15. We scored two points each half.

Part of that was age. We are an older team. I'm sure the youngest members are in their late 20's, and we have several members in the 40's.

We only had 10 people show up. And since you play with 7 people on the field, that doesn't give you very many subs. The other team had about twice as many subs.

Honestly, I almost didn't go myself. I started coming down with a cold Tuesday night. But I decided to go anyway. I seem to have skipped a stage in the cold as a result. Maybe I can knock this thing out of my system more quickly as a result.

I had been hoping not to have to play very many points, but with so few subs, I was in quite a bit. I felt like I did much better than last week. I was always with my man, but I actually had the energy to run fast after him when I did. The other team didn't respect me, so I could get open more easily. Unfortunately, that didn't always translate to getting the disc, but I did get it and pass it on one time successfully. The others, the person throwing it to me didn't quite get it to me, so that wasn't my fault.

My biggest frustration, however, was one of the people on the other team. This guy almost drove me away from my Saturday pick up game. Even there, he takes it way too seriously. He swears every time he messes up and yells at anyone who doesn't do exactly what he wants. It's not fun to play with him. Frankly, I wish the score had been lopsided in our favor just to put him in his place. I know I didn't react well to him at all.

On the other hand, there was a friend on the team. It was actually rather funny seeing him there since he is much older than the rest of the team.

We might be playing this team again during the regular season to make up the game we were rained out back in January. We'll see if we can get some of our stronger players back and at least give them a bit more of a run for their money.

Although this game was closer than the score makes it sound. We had several long points with multiple turn overs. It was just that they always managed to score in the end. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

2 comments:

L.B. said...

I hate when people are too competitive. It ruins it for everyone. It's nice to have someone who cares and knows what he/she is doing but that can get taken too far.

Mark Baker said...

The thing that gets me is this guy doesn't know what he is doing. He has some good knowledge, but he doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does.

Or maybe that's just my take on his I'm so much better than you attitude.