Monday, October 15, 2007

This Weekend

Sounds like my little town made international news this weekend.

If you've heard about the massive truck pile up in Southern California, that's me. Or at least my town.

I first heard about it Saturday morning while watching The Fox News Channel. It took me a while to figure out where exactly they were talking about, but once they did I started trying to figure out what this meant for traffic. Best I could tell, it wasn't sounding good.

I was supposed to be heading down to The Mystery Bookstore by UCLA that afternoon for the second launch party for Candy Cane Murder. But with both sides of the 5 closed, I knew it would take me hours to get out of town and back in to town. And as much as I love Joanne Fluke and Laura Levine, it just wasn't going to be worth it.

So I didn't even leave the condo Saturday. It allowed me time to write several reviews and watch Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I must admit to really enjoying watching both of them.

Sunday, I did venture out of the house for church. Of course, I'm only about a mile from church, so it wasn't bad at all. Then the Sunday School class I'm part of now had a fellowship that night. But it was within walking distance of my condo.

What amazed me was the fact that the freeway was completely open today. Last night, they were talking about only one side being open today with the other side openning tomorrow. But everything was open and smooth sailing today.

So really, it wasn't that bad for me. Yes, I would have loved to have gone to the book launch party. But it wasn't the end of the world to miss it. And I'm not like those three people who lost their lives.

And frankly, that's the thing that amazes me the most about the whole thing. Only three people died and only 10 people were hurt. Considering we are talking about 26 big rigs and 1 car, I would think the injuries alone would be more extensive. Add to that the fact that the fire sounds horrific, and the number of fatalities could have been so much worse.

No comments: