Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Mini Review - Some LIke it Hot-Buttered

I must say Some Like it Hot-Buttered is the first disappointment in my Fall reading. I've read Jeffrey Cohen's previous mysteries and loved them. So I was expecting a funny, solid mystery. What I got was an amusing mystery with problems.

Elliot Freed is trying to pick up the pieces of his life after his divorse. And he does so by buying an old theatre and reopening it with a focus on comedy. Attendence is low.

Then one night, he turns on the lights to find one of his patrons dead in his seat. Turns out, his popcorn was poisoned. While the police are searching, they find pirated movies in the basement. Are the two connected? What's going on under Elliot's nose?

I loved the character, especially Elliot. But, as I said, the book could have been funnier. I laughed, but the jokes were uneven and felt forced at times. But my biggest problem was with the story. It was slow in developing, often repeating plot points we already knew. Then, the villain acted out of the character at the end. While it made for a suspensful climax, I didn't care for the sudden stupidity.

Yes, I'll read the next in the series hoping it improves. But this wasn't as good as it could have been.

If you'd like to read my full review of Some Like it Hot-Buttered at Epinions, follow the link.

No comments: