Thursday, April 01, 2010

Mini Review: Dem Bones' Revenge

I promised a review of this book last Friday, and I am finally getting around to it.  I'll be talking about Dem Bones' Revenge by Kris Neri.

Our series stars Tracy Eaton, the daughter of two movie stars, Tracy has become famous in her own right for a series of mystery novels.  And normally she'd be excited to have a real mystery drop into her lap.  The only problem is this time around, her mother, Martha Collins, is the prime suspect.  She was found bending over the body of someone she didn't know, yet she isn't saying a thing to help herself.  As Tracy begins to investigate, she begins to think that her mother is hiding something from deep in her past.  Can she figure out what it is in time to keep her mother out of jail?

This is actually my third time through the book since it came out in 2000.  (And the next book was finally published!  Yeah!)  It's a wacky ride through Hollywood.  There are several laugh out loud moments that I absolutely loved.

However, it works well as a mystery, too.  It had been a while since I read it, so details of the plot were a little sketchy, but as thing unfolded, I recognized the clues and the red herrings and was able to remember who done it before it was revealed to us.

The characters are walking the very fine line between character and charicature here, but they fit the wacky world of the novel.

All in all, I love this ride.  I hope to get to the latest in the series in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait to read it.

No comments: