Friday, June 26, 2009

Camping

Here we are a week later and I'm finally talking about my overnight camping trip from last weekend.

The career group at my church went camping last weekend. Everyone was invited. And it turned out to just be my friend Joe and I.

We left about 4:30 on Friday and headed north up the Grapevine - our destination Mt. Pinos. The entire time, I'd been talking about wanting to see stars. When we left, it was hot here in town. It cooled off as we climbed (not a surprise), but it also got quite cloudy. I was beginning to think we wouldn't see any stars. Fortunately, the clouds moved on before the sun set.

The campground is very primative. We're talking outhouses and no running water. But it was also very quiet.

When we got there, we set up, then went for a walk around the campground. Neither of us had been there before, so we were exploring a little for future Career group camp outs. After that, we started a fire and roasted hot dogs for dinner. Dessert was smores (of course).

Honestly, we didn't do too much exciting. But it was a good chance to talk and build our friendship.

When the stars came out, we spent quite a while looking at them. I joked I would get a crink in my neck from looking up so much, but it didn't happen.

The next morning, we explored a walking path before we left. I so wish I had had my camera with me, because the view from the path and the fox across the valley was beautiful. We also decided that next time that top of that path would be a star observatory because it was away from other campers (and their light).

We got home early afternoon on Saturday to discover that it was very overcast again here in town. In fact, it was misting on my car driving home. It was colder but clear on the mountain. Go figure.

No comments: