Saturday, January 11, 2014

First Winter League Game

I’m playing winter league this year!!!

We’ve got a team together from the pick up game I play here in town.  And it’s going to be an interesting season.

See, while I few of us have played leagues and tournaments before, many of the teams hasn’t.  And as I learned in 1999, there is a steep learning curve between laid back pick up on a small field and league play.  For example, we can’t have someone playing “safety” on D.  They’re just going to exploit that the entire time.  Tight D.  Or play a real zone.  But not like we do at pick up.

Actually, I was impressed with how well we did last night, all things considered.  We started off trading points until it was 2-2.  That’s when they started pulling away with it, or should I say running away with it.  Half ended at 3-8 and the game ended at 4-15.  Yeah, we got slaughtered on D.  Our O looked okay, but we had several drops.

On the personal front, I couldn’t get much going.  We had tons of guys, and so I didn’t play very many points.  I didn’t touch the disc, but I also didn’t get scored on, although my guy seemed to get open when wanted.

Part of that was that I’m still getting over my cold/illness/whatever.  I was really struggling when I was out running, and I got tired easily.

But here’s the crazy part.  Despite going and running around in the cold (at least for here) and getting to bed at 1AM this morning, I’m actually feeling better than I have in a couple of weeks.  I’ve coughed a little today, but it’s not nearly as bad as it has been.  I’m hopeful I can beat this thing in the next couple of days.

2 comments:

That Loud Redhead said...

What exactly is "winter league" for you? Is it actually cold, or is that just a way to indicate the time of year? I'm not being sarcastic...I'm really curious!

Feel better!!

Mark Baker said...

It is based on the time of year. But we play at night, and it can be in the 50's when we're playing. Yes, I know you don't think that's cold, but remember we are playing outside.

And Winter League is when you are most likely to get rained out, although so far we have no fear of that happening.