Thursday, January 30, 2014

50 Percent

I wasn’t supposed to play in my ultimate Frisbee game last night.

I have standing Wednesday night plans with friends, and they couldn’t reschedule this week, so I decided I’d miss this game.  And, honestly, with how I was feeling Wednesday morning, that was probably a good thing.  I’ve been getting little sleep, so I was extra grumpy.  I didn’t want to be the one who brought down the spirit of the game.

Then I got a nap at lunch time.  A good one.  I was feeling better.  And our get together was canceled at the last minute.  Still, the smart thing to do would have been to stay home, take it easy, and go to bed early.

Guess what I did.

Honestly, I was planning to stay home.  In fact, watching my Wednesday night shows was sounding good.  But then I got a text from Travis about car pooling, and I remembered that the team we were playing hadn’t won yet.  Yep, I went.

Oh, another reason for me not to go?  I’d run Tuesday night and my knee was bugging me a little.  I strapped on my brace and headed out.

When I got to the field all hesitation about whether I did the right thing or not was gone.  JV was on the other team.  We love to play opposite each other since the two of us are fairly evenly matched.  Plus, how can you have a hard time playing against JV?  Despite our trash talk, he’s just such a nice guy.

The game started off fairly close with us at 2-2.  Then we started to pull away and made it to 6-4 when they called a time out.  We went ahead and punched it in for two more scores to take it to half 8-4.

But the other team wasn’t willing to go down without a fight.  We had several long points.  The final score was 15-5, but that really doesn’t reflect how close it was.

I got more playing time than I had in previous weeks because numbers were down and we finally got our rotations on paper and therefore figured out.  Frankly, with JV there, if we hadn’t had these rotations, I would have played more, but I was glad I got to play as much as I did.

On a personal note, I was able to get a D at one point, thanks as usual to a wild throw.  Then, later in the same point, after a time out (it was one of our epic points), I caught the disc to score.  That was a wild throw that I had to case down, but I did it.

I like to say I’m good for one score, throwing one score, and one D per season.  Unfortunately, if that is true, that means I’m done for the season.  I really, really hope that isn’t true for winter league or it will be a long second half.

Of course, it wasn’t all highlights.  I threw a few discs away as well this week.

Still, I’m really glad I went.  Can you tell?


Which brings me to my title.  Our record is now 2-2.  We’re doing better than I thought we’d do.  It will be interesting to see if we keep this up for the rest of league or start dropping because we’re playing better teams.  5 more games and the tournament to find out.

No comments: