Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mini Review: Mosaic Pieces of My Life

Today I finally get the mini review written on the other hold over from last Spring's reading challenge - Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far by Amy Grant.

This book is not a true autobiography. Instead, Amy tells us stories from her life. They are organized more around themes of family, friends, and God rather than in chronological order. Each chapter is around three pages long with lyrics from her songs in between.

I knew going into the book I wasn't looking at a straight autobiography, and I think that helped me enjoy the book for what it was. I was really challenged to remember that people are much more important than most of what I persue in life, something that Amy comes back to time and time again.

And don't come looking to this book for gossip or details of her personal life. There are none. At times it seems awkward when she goes out of her way to exclude ex-husband Gary Chapman from the book (while including his father). But I do respect the fact that she didn't get into personal attacks or name calling. If she had to go to one extreme or the other, I would rather that she left him out instead of dragging him (and herself) through the mud.

No comments: