Monday, June 19, 2023

September 2022 - Canada and New England Cruise

 (Just a quick note:  If you are landed here because of a comment I left on your book blog, you might be more interested in my review blog, Carstairs Considers.  But you are very welcome to stick around here, too.)

I won a free cruise last year, and I took it in September.  My friend Cameron joined me.  We had originally been eyeing a Norwegian cruise, but we couldn't do it because it was round trip from Amsterdam, and we didn't meet the vaccine requirements in the Netherlands.  So we went to Canada and New England.

It was definitely cool by my standards - winter weather to this Southern California wimp, but it was fun.  We didn't do much in the way of excursions, but we got off the ship and explored every day we could.  One of the stops was at Prince Edward Island, but the wrong side of the island for Anne of Green Gables stuff.  Still, I had read the book before we went.

This was right before the hurricane hit that area (my parents actually took a cruise right after and reported on some of the damage).  We had to miss a stop in Maine as a result of it coming, but that was the only interruption to our trip.

We got off in Boston and delayed coming home one day to explore that area.  We spent Saturday walking around Boston, looking at the sites there.  Then, Sunday, we explored Lexington and Concord.  Definitely would have liked more time there, but we had to fly home, sadly.

Ironically, this wound up being on the same ship that I sailed on with my family to Alaska in 2016.  So, for my third cruise, I'd been on two itineraries and two ships.

1 comment:

thecuecard said...

Sounds like a pretty neat cruise. Were there other areas in Canada it stopped or just Prince Edward Island? I'm in Canada but in the landlocked West. Nice to visit Anne of Green Gables home eh?