Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Meeting JMS

Last night, I had the chance of a lifetime.

I have been a fan of the TV show Babylon 5 since I was introduced to it by a couple of friends in college.  I discovered earlier this year that J. Michael Straczynski (dubbed JMS by us fans), the show’s creator, was releasing an autobiography.  Naturally, I started watching to see if he was doing any signings.

I’m not sure how I discovered he was doing one signing in the Los Angeles area since he has mainly been promoting his convention appearances.  But there was indeed one signing at Book Soup down in West Hollywood last night.  Naturally, as soon as I found out about it, I decided I was going to go.

I’d never been to the bookstore before, and I’m sure I would have enjoyed it had I taken a little more time to explore.  However, I didn’t have that much time before the signing started by the time I got down there and parked.  It really doesn’t have much parking, and it is in a busy neighborhood, so that was trickier than I thought it would be.

But it was well worth it.  There wasn’t as much of a crowd as I feared there would be, but I’m not sure the shop would have survived if there had been a giant crowd.  JMS was funny, yet the bits he teased from his personal life are heartbreaking.  I suspect that I’m going to find the book heartbreaking reading.

I didn’t have long to chat with him since there were people waiting in line behind me waiting to get things signed, but I was able to thank him for the countless friends I have made while watching the show.  And I’m not talking about characters (although I love them), but the friends I have watched the show with who have become some of my closest friends.  Yes, I got the booked signed as well as the DVD booklet for season 4 of Babylon 5.  I don’t think I came across as a blathering fan.  At least I hope I didn’t.

No comments: