Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Today's topic is fun with statistics.

And I'm going to start off with something you probably never thought you'd see here, a link to John Kerry's official web site.

If you follow that link, you'll find that they have created a new economic index. The Middle Class Misery Index. Naturally, since they created it, it makes things look bleak under Bush.

The graph is about half way down the page. When you look at it, remember that the higher the number, the better off the middle class is. The graph starts with 1976, and as you can see, every time a Democrat has been President, the middle class has faired better then when we've had a Republican in office. This is even true for Jimmy Carter.

Now, frankly, I find it hard to believe that this could possibly be true. The middle class was better when we were suffering from stagflation? With interest rates so high that no one could afford to buy anything on credit? Yeah, that sounds about right to me. Talk about cooking the books to make it appear that Democrats are better then Republicans.

Now I know I haven't gotten into the technical stuff on this. This was just my first thoughts when I saw the graph. I actually started laughing out loud. But they appear to be serious and think this will be believed by people out there. Took me about five seconds to see though it, how about you?

And if you are interested in a series discussion of what exactly is wrong with this "study," check out this link.

In other news, I'm about 60 pages away from finishing The Right Hand of Amon. Sure hope to do it tonight. It's a mystery set in ancient Egypt. Like the 1400's BC. I've really been struggling with it, but I discovered something today. I think I'm actually enjoying it. I certainly care about the outcome, and I'm even thinking about finding out what happens in the next book. And here, 24 hours ago, I would have told you I hated it. :) Shows all I know, about myself.

Finally, the grammar quiz.

Grammar God!
You are a GRAMMAR GOD!


If your mission in life is not already to
preserve the English tongue, it should be.
Congratulations and thank you!


How grammatically sound are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

How in the world did I get that answer? I was guessing at half of the answers at least. (Then again, if you read this blog regularly, you already knew that.) Probably shouldn't have confessed to that, right? :)

I really would have liked to have seen the correct responses to the questions, too.

No comments: