Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Before we get to Mary's Tuesday Two for the week, I have a very serious question to ask.

Why does my site not come up in the lists of updated blogs? I noticed that places claim my blog hasn't been updated since Wednesday, and this in a week I've actually updated every day. I set blogger up to do it for me, but that wasn't working, so I went back to doing it manually, but that doesn't seem to be working either. And it's driving me crazy because I don't know what to do about it.

Ok, now on the much less soap operay topic of gun control. :)

1. Do you own a gun? Why? And if your answer is no, why not?
No. I was raised with a healty fear of guns. Anything where I can kill someone scares me. I've never hunted and don't go for target practice. What's the point of me having a gun? Might things change in the future? Sure. But I have no need or desire to have a gun right now.

2. What are your thoughts on gun ownership, legal or otherwise, in the United States?
We have the right to bear arms (or is it bare arms? I can never remember) in this country. That means that we need to seriously watch our legislatures very carefully since they seem to want to take that away from us. Now, I have no problem with criminals not being aloud to own guns. It's as much a part of the penalty as loosing the right to vote. And you've shown that you aren't responsible with guns, so you shouldn't have one. But for the average citizen, it's a right.

I know this has been mentioned to death, but the only people who would own guns if they were illegal is criminals. I'd much rather live in a world where they might think twice about attacking someone because of the fear of a gun.

Also mentioned to death, guns don't kill people. People kill people. It may be a cliche, but it's true. If I want to kill you, I'll find some way to do it. And it really doesn't take much. Guns make it easier, but it doesn't make it any less likely to happen. What we need to deal with in this country is the attitude that killing someone is ok or an acceptable solution to problems.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go read a murder mystery now. :)

No comments: