Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What I Read - June 2011 Edition

So here's something I want to get back to, posting these lists on my blog.

I can't quite remember where I left off in June and picked up in July, but this is pretty close.

All ratings are on a scale from 1 (bad) to 5 (great).

TO THE MANOR DEAD by Sebastian Stuart - 2
When Janet is offered a chance to sell a large estate, she's thrilled until she finds the woman she is deal with dead and meets the victim's weird relatives. The plot was okay, but almost all the characters made my skin crawl. The main character was only alright. The family of suspects were actually rather creepy. I have a feeling the author was going for funny, but it missed the mark for me.

PERCY JACKSON: THE LAST OLYMPIAN by Rick Riordan - 5
The climax finds Percy and his friend making a last stand against the Titans. Can they save Olympus? The book was incredible. It was almost no stop action, and I had a hard time putting it down. Lots of great pay offs for the characters as well. A worth end to the series.

10TH ANNIVERSARY by James Patterson - 3
The women of the Women's Murder Club are taking on three new cases in this book. It was typical Patterson, fun and fast paced but almost immediately forgettable.

THE RABBIT DIED by Sue Ann Jaffarian - 5
The first in a series of Kindle short stories, this one introduces us to a dysfunctional family. It was funny and sad at various points - a very good read.

PSYCH: MIND ALTERING MURDER by William Rabkin - 5
While Shawn immerses himself in a virtual reality game thinking it holds the clue to find the man who created it, Gus takes a "grown up" job up in San Francisco. But is this the end of their partnership or will murder follow Gus north? I loved it. The characters were very well developed, there were some laughs, and the plot was great.

DARKWING DUCK: THE DUCK KNIGHT RETURNS - 4
I loved this TV show, and now I've discovered they are doing comic books based on it. Lots of fun for those who remember the character.

SECRETS OF HARMONY GROVE by Mindy Starns Clark - 4
Sienna is shocked to learn that she is being investigated by the Feds. Then her boyfriend is killed at the bed and breakfast she owns in Amish country, and her life unravels even further. As always, the author pulled me in from the very beginning and wove an intricate tale. I felt like the pacing was a bit off and times, but overall I enjoyed it.

No comments: