Thursday, April 02, 2009

Mini Review: The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes

Full disclosure: I bought this kid's book because the author is the sister of a friend. But I am raving about The Dog Days of Charlotte Hayes by Marlane Kennedy because I loved it.

The story revolves around Charlotte Hayes, a sixth grader and the person who takes care of the family dog. Now Charlotte will be quick to tell you, she isn't a dog person. But no one else in the family seems ready to make sure he has food and water, so she does it. She decides the thing to do is find the dog a new home. But her dad claims to love the dog. Can she find a way to "rescue" her own dog?

I, also, and not a dog person. But I fell in love with this book, and the dog in it. It really is a heart warming story with well hidden lessons on responsibility and finding friends in unexpected places.

Yes, the book is perfect for 3rd grade and above. And by above, I mean adults as well.

No comments: