Wednesday, April 24, 2013

2013 LA Times Festival of Books


This last weekend was the weekend for the Festival of Books yet again.  Yes, that means I skipped my ultimate beach league game, which I did feel a little badly about since it was a nice warm day.  I bet it was perfect.

But I had a blast.  Met up with Angelique (of course), and we hit the booths, stalked authors, and generally enjoyed the day and books.  It was at USC for the third time in a row, and I feel like I’m getting the feel for the campus a tiny bit more.  I did have a hard time finding a place to park, but somehow I stumbled upon the best parking spot imaginable.  It wasn’t that far at all from the mystery booths section, which is naturally where we spend all our time.

And this turned out to be a big help.  I’d found out that Ridley Pearson, who writes the Kingdom Keepers books, was going to be there.  I bought the sixth in the series, and brought the other five in hardcover from home.  I left them in my car until just before the signing, and then stopped by my car and switched them out.  I never would have tried to do that at UCLA since parking was always a long walk from any of the booths.

I only made three impulse buys.  Well, one was a book I had debated about buying before, but I missed that signing.  The others were a series I’ve been thinking about going back to and a new series.  Hopefully, I’ll like them when I get a chance to read them.

The weather was definitely on the warm side.  The slight breeze and the shade were always welcome.  Yet it wasn’t as hot as it has been in the past, but again I can’t complain.

We opened the place at 10 and left not too long before they closed at 6.  I’d call that a successful day.

No comments: