Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Water Heater Fun

I had some extra fun last week.  My hot water heater decided to go out on me.  And I had just replaced it back in 2011.

It all started when I came home from work Tuesday night and found the water was gushing out of the overflow valve.  I bought a new one, and my roommate put it in the next night (we’d turned off the water to the heater in between).  But that didn’t fix it, as I found when it was still leaking Thursday morning.

Now this is the point where Donald gets involved.  He’s a great friend who also happens to be a plumber (just not in town).  I told him about my troubles, and he tried to suggest some fixes for me.  Sadly, they kept not working, and they took time to try.  In fact, I took a half day off work to try to get things figured out before finally giving up and trying to find a plumber.


Fortunately, I got hooked up with a guy from my church who is a plumber.  He was able to replace it (and my neighbor’s) for me on Saturday.  And since my roommate was home during the time, I was still able to go out of town as planned.  That was the worst part of the entire thing – I was very afraid I was going to have to cancel my trip at one point.  But I didn’t have to do that.  And my boss was very understanding about life getting in the way of work even when I had two days off scheduled.  I was able to get what I needed to get done finished while I was in on Thursday, so it all worked out.  But boy was it stressful.

No comments: