Friday, December 07, 2007

Mini Review: On the Wrong Track

On the Wrong Track by Steve Hockensmith is the second book about cowboy brothers Old Red and Big Red. Old Red has become hooked on the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and fancies himself a detective just like his literary hero. And he does a good job of proving it.

In this book, the brothers take jobs as security agents for the Southern Pacific Railroad. They board a train in Utah to travel to head quarters in Oakland to be trained. But along the way, the boy in charge of the baggage is killed and thrown under the train. But things get weirder when a notorius gang stops the train, gets on, but doesn't rob anyone. What's going on?

The mystery is great and the action moved fast. I literally could not put the book down once I reached the climax. Granted, it helped that I was on an airplane at the time. But if I could, I wouldn't have wanted to.

My only complaint about the book is the language. There were quite a few four letter words, more then I thought necessary in fact.

If you are interested in reading more about the book, check out my full review of On the Wrong Track.

No comments: