Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Full Story

So, here's the longer post I promisd about what has been going on with me.

Sunday, the 24th, I woke up with pain on my right side. And I hadn't been feeling well for a few days before that. Finally, that evening, I decided to go into the walk in clinic. After they looked at me, they sent me to emergency to check out my appendix.

It took all night for them to reach any conclusions. And, for the record, I don't recommend spending the night in emergency. Anyway, about 6 AM, they finally decided that my appendix was the problem. Of course, by this time I was feeling great.

And by this time the operating rooms were filling up with the cases for the day.

I was taken to a room to wait for an OR. Then my doctor came in to say he was thinking about not operating since my appendix had already ruptured. He was going to keep me for observation, but that was it. Mom and Dad (I'd called them by this time), didn't like the idea, and the more I thought about it, I didn't either. They called Pastor Jon, who came down to help me fight them, and we began to wait. When my doctor came back in, he had decided to operate, so we geared up for a fight for nothing.

The rest of it is rather a blur. I think I was in surgery for around four hours. They went in via the wound that hasn't healed, so I will only have the one scar. Of course, they did make it bigger. Took out my appendix as well as a foot of my long intestins and six inches of my colon. (I think I have that right.) They were infected and that's why my wound still hadn't closed from February. In fact, it wouldn't have closed without further surgery.

I got out of the hospital on Friday and we came up to my parent's on Sunday. I don't get the staples out for another week. The hope is that by leaving them in longer, my wound will stay closed.

Meanwhile, I am doing better every day. Still, a little sore, but I think I'll be able to gt by with no pain pills today.

I just hope this is it. I really don't want to have more surgery for another 40 years or so.

No comments: